The only parts of the robot that was not made in-house were the
bumper frames, which were waterjetted and bent on a CNC brake at
one of our sponsors. Without a CNC brake, it would have been
extremely difficult to achieve the precise bends we wanted for our
This season, we faced an interesting problem — how to machine box tubing. This was a significant challenge for us on the router, but we developed a procedure where we could align, probe, and flip the tubing to get matching holes (e.g. for bearings) on both sides.
This year, we set a goal to have zero on-field breakdowns. Here's what we learned from past years in order to try to reach our goal: